Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Hungry Gap

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 11 Mar, 10:09, Chris ] wrote:
Hungry Gap

When exactly is it?
Can it be successfully planned for?
--
Chris

We're into week two of the hungry gap, otherwise known as March.
You could try growing

Hungry Gap Kale

Kale stands out as an anti-cancer food. Kale emerged from our food
ranking system as an excellent source of traditional nutrients,
including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. It is also a
very good source of dietary fiber, calcium, copper, iron, vitamin B1,
vitamin B2 and vitamin E. This combination of vitamins, minerals, and
phytonutrients makes kale a health superstar. Lutein and zeaxanathin
are two of the most critical carotenoids related to eye health and
macular degeneration in particular. Advantage of kale is as a tumor
deterrent. Kale goes easily into soup, meatloaf or quiche, adding
nutrients without excessive flavor

We've eaten kale all our lives.

We both have cancer.

Eating kale - or any food - because of its claimed benefits is plain silly,
we should eat good food because it tastes good. Kale has its own flavour and
worth eating just for that - and its texture of course.

Mary

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries