Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ave ave is offline

Default ScareCrows etc ..

On Mar 7, 12:15 am, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:41:45 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

p.s. If you could recognise cat's from foxes or anything else I'd be
happy to send you a picture (I have plenty of choice out there) if
you drop me a line (addy works).

Fox poo is generally more pointy at the ends than cat poo and it's softer
and smellier(and mostly black IME).

Have a look at...
http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/brilli...how2item4.html

http://www.foxdna.animals.uwa.edu.au...ox_poo_mystery

Hmm, thanks for those Bob (I think! g).

The stuff that I seem to have in this long grass area seems much
lighter in colour (pinky / cream), about 3" in a spirally diameter
pile (overall) and sticks like (well, you know), seems nearly
waterproof and the smell lingers for ages. :-(

Yesterday I was moving my motorbike from our back garden to a mates
garage down the road. I had to do a 3 point turn onto this grassy area
so checked the area first for this 'mess'. I then pushed the bike the
1/8 mile and as soon as I got it in his garage I could smell something
was wrong. There it was still stuck to the back tyre. I took the rear
wheel off, dug most of it out of the tread with an old screwdriver
onto some newspaper (god it stunk) and then washed / scrubbed the tyre
under a running tap with some disinfectant (because of the smell and
risks).

A while back neighbour asked if I knew if anyone was putting down some
sort of black grease against cats as theirs had walked in it (from 5
houses away) and walked it all over their white leather sofa. I didn't
know (at the time but found out later) but I did have a quiet laugh to
myself afterwards (serves them right sorta thing).

It turns out it was a guy a few doors long who had put something along
the top of his high fence as he had been losing fish from his pond
(and had seen cats doing it).

Anyway, I don't really care what animal it is, I just don't want it in
my back garden! ;-)

All the best and thanks again Bob ..

T i m

Those sonic detectors/ scarers are quite good but pricey, although I'm
also experimenting with shaking chilli powder down among the crops, in
the hope they burn the cats' bums and they stay away, regards
dreschrode