Old 13-03-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default torbay palm advice wanted pls.

cineman wrote:
Hi,
Here in The West Midlands , Tuesday night till This evening, we have
had very strong winds, as has most of the country.
I found this morning that the centre stem of my Torbay Palm had
broken off, the Stem is around 3.5 to 4 inches in diameter, with bare
stem for around 3.5 foot. and a lovely canopy of leaves on top taking the
full
length to around 6 foot high.
This palm has some 6 shoots left from low down so it doesnt look too
bad. I have trimmed the broken end, and planted it up to about 12 to
15 inches deep, in another border, question is, will it root?

Possibly, although you would have a better chance by putting it in a 1:1 or
1:2 mixture of compost and sharp sand in a large flower pot. Cordyline
australis (which is what "Torbay palm" is) is fairly drought resistant. I
would have though that there is a greater chance of the cutting rotting off
in the soil before rooting than in a potful of well-drained compost.

Good luck!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)