Old 15-03-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Anemone nemoralis

In article ,
Paul Luton writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
| nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
| have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
| the heart.
|
| Perhaps because it is more difficult to establish (i.e. I failed ).
| Apart from alliteration why is A.Blanda blowsy ? I confess to enjoying
| the way it has self seeded around.

I din't say that it was unattractive and, as usual, the native form
is less blowsy than the hybrids. But it does have vulgarly large
flowers, in vulgarly large numbers - hence the "blowsy". However,
most of us grow a few unrepentantly blowsy flowers, even if we
favour more sophisticated ones as a general rule - I certainly do :-)

My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.