Old 16-03-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anemone nemoralis

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Paul Luton writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| Why is this so neglected? You can buy blowsy blanda everywhere, but
| nemoralis is rarely sold. I bought some several years ago, and they
| have now established themselves the way I wanted - a sight to lift
| the heart.
|
| Perhaps because it is more difficult to establish (i.e. I failed ).
| Apart from alliteration why is A.Blanda blowsy ? I confess to enjoying
| the way it has self seeded around.

I din't say that it was unattractive and, as usual, the native form
is less blowsy than the hybrids. But it does have vulgarly large
flowers, in vulgarly large numbers - hence the "blowsy". However,
most of us grow a few unrepentantly blowsy flowers, even if we
favour more sophisticated ones as a general rule - I certainly do :-)

Isn't blowsy a description more appropriate to the Anemone
coronaria/pavonina group?

My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.

The botanists have been busy again, publishing the name Anemonoides
nemerosa for that species.

(Analysis suggests that Anemone in the traditional sense is paraphyletic
with respect to Hepatica, Knowltonia and Pulsatilla. This can be fixed
by recognising the segregate genera Anemonastrum, Anemonoides,
Anemonidium and Eriocapitella, which were originally proposed back in
the 1970s, and extending Anemonoides to species related to A. baldensis
and A. multifida. Anemone then becomes restricted to the bulbous
species.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--