Old 16-03-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anemone nemoralis

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Isn't blowsy a description more appropriate to the Anemone
| coronaria/pavonina group?

Oh, very much so! Those are as vulgar as a certain celebrity who I
shall not mention in the interest of good taste and public decency.
However, most forms of A. blanda seem to be hybridised enough to be
classed as blowsy ....

| My A. nemorosa isn't the native form, anyway, but a blue hybrid.
|
| The botanists have been busy again, publishing the name Anemonoides
| nemerosa for that species.

That fails to surprise me!

And, upon a closer inspection, I am not entirely sure that my plant
really is that species, anyway :-) I may have deluded myself again.

I bought it as that, it looks rather like it, but I need an absence
of rain to inspect its flowers with a good lens. It may be what my
books call A. appennina and heaven alone knows what the botanists
call it nowadays.

The true Anemone apennina was in Anemonanthea by an early 19th century
botanist (S.F. Gray), and more recently (with nemorosa and
ranunculoides) in Anemonoides. Anemone apennina senus Boissier is
Anemone blanda.

Fide Stace, Anemone nemorosa has 6-7, rarely 5-9, sepals, and is white,
or pale pink, blue or purple; Anemone apennina has 10-15, rarely 8-18,
sepals, and is blue, rarely white or pink.

I now wonder if I've overlooked Anemone apennina as Anemone blanda; does
anyone happen to know what Wallington grows? (I used to grow Anemone
blanda; but the ones I had didn't qualify as blowsy.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley