Old 17-03-2008, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Top Ground Gear Force

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:58:49 +0000, K wrote:

Bob Hobden writes

"K" wrote after...
"Cat(h)"wrote
Did anyone see this on BBC2 last night, as part of Sports Relief?
Well, it did give me a giggle. Best of all was the face on the
surprisee* when he saw his garden.

*some beknighted British rowing champ whose name escapes me.

I watched, because I thought it might be funny. But I found I couldn't
watch such wanton destruction without distress.

I'm curious as to what went on behind the scenes - they claim that Sir
Steve Redgrave was unaware - what sort of conversation went on between him
and his wife?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was like every other stunt on Top Gear, totally
made up and orchestrated.

Probably. But some of the damage looked pretty real. And I just didn't
like the concept that such behaviour could be funny.

No, it was NOT funny. I was appalled at what I saw. I just happened
to see the end when Steve Redgrave returned home and he looked quite
angry before he saw what they had done. I didn't see what the garden
was like before, and I am sure someone (?) will put it right, but the
damage to the lawn looked awful, and somewhere there was a large area
of concrete. How does this raise money for Sport Relief? It was OTT.

Pam in Bristol