Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
B.Server

Default need help with plants during this weather

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:51:49 GMT, "
wrote:

hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to well
with the current weather and i need some help

aloe vera plant - a friend has some aloe vera and pulled some out of her pot
for me and i replanted then in new soil (specific for succulents) but with
the weather changes the outter leaves are looking 'jelly like' and turning
soft yellowish. i've no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i keep it indoors
instead of leaving it outside?

As others have posted, get it drier and remove the damaged leaves.

hibiscus - bought it from homedepot. has been flowring wonderfully but now
the leaves are turning yellow. it's real heavy to move around so it's
outside. does this need to be brought in for the austin 'winter'

Most years, tropical hibiscus will survive the urban Austin winter if
sheltered, but will look like the devil as soon as they get a blast of
cold (45F) air. I keep a cool greenhouse and typically allow my
outdoor hibiscus to chill and lose their leaves. Then I trim them
back and overwinter them in the coolest part of the greenhouse to
encourage them to not put out too many stunted leaves. If you protect
them from cold and have a way to give them lots of light, they will
bloom most of the winter. Example. The one on my south facing porch
has one side (toward the house) still growing while the other looks
like it was torched. Tonight it will get trimmed and stored for the
winter.

pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really flower
all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this have to be
kept indoors as well?

I haven't a clue.

thanks in advance!!!!!!