Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
God Bless Texas

Default Nail-biting time

Since the Texans scored their last touchdown, animaux saw fit to opine:

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:47:46 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Is *one* freeze going to kill all the vegetable I have out there?
Will covering them with plastic help them survive longer? What do I
do with the green tomatoes? Is fresh lettuce a thing of the past?

Say goodbye to the green tomatoes and fry em up. Plastic is the worst
thing to
cover things with. I cover my plants with burlap, old sheets, Remay
and on top of THAT I put some plastic.

Lettuce should be okay, but cover it to be sure. This is a cold front
and you can always throw out lettuce or any lettuce mix seeds when it
warms up again...and it will warm up.

I hate this cold.

You don't have to fry up the green tomatoes. Pick them and put them on
a windowsill, not too much sun exposure but some.

They slowly (over *months*) ripen, and taste better than the hothouse
slop you get in the store.

Try it - we didn't believe it, but tried it two years ago, now every
fall we strip the plants right before the first serious freeze and
decorate our kitchen windows with them. We've only had two rot in two
years, out of like forty or fifty.

--
All Chat no Cattle