Old 22-03-2008, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] KNOX2000@webtv.net is offline

Default Moles, help...

Chris

Growing up in the southeast (central NC) I have seen the best mole
solution (or at least, a major improvement) has been to plant Castor
Bean seeds at various locations around the perimeter of my property, as
well as in a few other random places too. Castor Bean Plants are
annuals in zones less than 10 or so, but they seed toward the first
winter frost and drop seeds that will come up again year after year.
All my life I have used these rather attractive, tropical looking plants
in my landscaping and Yes, they can cut down your Mole problems in a
major way. Some of the major seed/landscaping magazines are showing
them in feature articles as attractive plantings as well. ***The moles
tend to avoid areas with castor bean plants, and once mine grow up in
the warmer spring, my mole 'tunnels' begin to decrease a lot too. I
don't have time to go to the expense of ground spraying with poisons for
the grubs, nor do I have the patience to stay out in a 'mole hunt'
trying to catch or whack them. But the castor bean plants have been a
major item in my landscaping for over 40 years, first for 'mole
control', but have begun to appreciate the looks of the plants too.
Yes, they are toxic plants, so if you handle the seeds or plants, simply
wash your hands well. But afterall, mums & many other common flowers
and plants you never thought were toxic or poisonous shouldn't be
handled either without washing. Ck your state's listing of Poisonous
Plants for your state & am sure that you will be more careful about more
common ones we have too. Not sure, but think Park's offers Castor Bean
seeds in their current cat. If not, just Google Castor Bean Seeds.
More common ones are green, but some have a reddish hue, so several
varieties are attractive, but all help the moles go away, or avoid the
areas......Hope you'll try !