Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Moles, help...

I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard.
It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I
spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked.
The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with snow)
and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as the
snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass? Should I be
trying something else? We are talking about dozens of holes/tunnels all
over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris...

Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chris" wrote:
I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard.
It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I
spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked.
The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with
snow) and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as
the snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass?
Should I be trying something else? We are talking about dozens of
holes/tunnels all over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris...

Sometimes simply eliminating their food source with a grub control product
will help...sometimes not.

The most effective mole control is a mole trap.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steve" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote:
I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard.
It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I
spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked.
The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with
snow) and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as
the snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass?
Should I be trying something else? We are talking about dozens of
holes/tunnels all over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris...

Sometimes simply eliminating their food source with a grub control product
will help...sometimes not.

The most effective mole control is a mole trap.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've also been reading on the subject
(on-line) and you are right, there is no easy solution :-( Most repellants,
chemicals, etc. apparantly don't work. Trapping appears to be the only
effective way of doing it, and if you have more than a couple of moles, it's
a long term process. Oh, well,... I think I'll order a few traps and give
it a shot.

Chris

Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've also been reading on the subject
(on-line) and you are right, there is no easy solution :-( Most
repellants, chemicals, etc. apparantly don't work. Trapping appears to be
the only effective way of doing it, and if you have more than a couple of
moles, it's a long term process. Oh, well,... I think I'll order a few
traps and give it a shot.

There are three different kinds of traps. Harpoon, scissors and pincher.
Each kind takes a different technique. I like the pincher style. I know
how to use them and they work well.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Pat" wrote in message

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've also been reading on the subject
(on-line) and you are right, there is no easy solution :-( Most
repellants, chemicals, etc. apparantly don't work. Trapping appears to
be the only effective way of doing it, and if you have more than a couple
of moles, it's a long term process. Oh, well,... I think I'll order a
few traps and give it a shot.

There are three different kinds of traps. Harpoon, scissors and pincher.
Each kind takes a different technique. I like the pincher style. I know
how to use them and they work well.

So, after you get rid of the mole(s), do they eventually come back and have
to do it all over again?

BTW, in your opinion, what are the advantages of a "pincher"? (have seen the
harpoon and the scissor types but not the pincher type, what do they look
like?) Also, I saw prices for mole traps on-line, ranging from $6 to $30
each. Is there a specific, reasonable source you know of?

I am finding that I have a lot to learn, in order to fight moles :-)
Different traps, different techniques, different results. Some swear by the
"scissors type", others by the "pincher type". It'll be a looong process to
learn about and get rid of these pests.

Chris

Old 08-03-2008, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris wrote:
I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard.
It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I
spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked.
The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with snow)
and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as the
snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass? Should I be
trying something else? We are talking about dozens of holes/tunnels all
over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris...

I had them for several years and finally used a phosphorous based poison
in their tunnels that got rid of them.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Moles, help..."Pro Mole Trap"

"Pat" wrote in message

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've also been reading on the subject
(on-line) and you are right, there is no easy solution :-( Most
repellants, chemicals, etc. apparantly don't work. Trapping appears to
be the only effective way of doing it, and if you have more than a couple
of moles, it's a long term process. Oh, well,... I think I'll order a
few traps and give it a shot.

There are three different kinds of traps. Harpoon, scissors and pincher.
Each kind takes a different technique. I like the pincher style. I know
how to use them and they work well.

I also saw something called the "Pro Mole Trap". They claim it's better
than the rest. Has anyone tried it?

Chris...

Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

So, after you get rid of the mole(s), do they eventually come back and
have to do it all over again?

Yes. Moles move into new teritory in the spring. Once they are under
control you have to dig out the traps every spring and catch a couple.

BTW, in your opinion, what are the advantages of a "pincher"? (have seen
the harpoon and the scissor types but not the pincher type, what do they
look like?) Also, I saw prices for mole traps on-line, ranging from $6 to
$30 each. Is there a specific, reasonable source you know of?

The advantage is that I know how to trap with pincher traps.
Look here http://www.extension.org/faq/961 and
http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/filelibrary/1808/42.PDF
I bought mine at a farm supply store called Wilco. You need two. I think I
paid around $20 ten years ago for two.

Make sure of your critter. Moles make a hill shaped like a volcano by
pushing the dirt up in the center. Gopher traps are bigger than mole traps
and won't work for moles. Make sure you have the correct trap for the pest
you are trapping. Learn the proper technique for the trap.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

.. .

http://www.themoleman.com/

Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Chris" wrote in message
.. .
I live in the NorthEast. Last autumn, moles did a job in my front yeard.
It was late in the season and I was told not to put "molex" down, but I
spayed some solution I got from the local store. I don't thik it worked.
The ground is just starting to thaw (half the yard still covered with
snow) and they are alreadyw digging holes.

How can I get rid of them? Should I start spreading molex as soon as
the snow is gone? Multiple applications? Will it harn the grass?
Should I be trying something else? We are talking about dozens of
holes/tunnels all over the yard.

There has to be *some* way of getting rid of them, right?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris...

http://www.themoleman.com/

Thanks, that's one of the web pages I found (after I posted here) and has
lots of useful information. I was looking for the *easy* solution, but of
course, there isn't any :-(

Chris

Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

I also saw something called the "Pro Mole Trap". They claim it's better
than the rest. Has anyone tried it?

Chris...

It is a simple scissor trap. It's claim is fame is it doesn't need much
hand strength to set it.

Old 14-03-2008, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

i have the nash traps ,spike type ,and scizzor type. the nash
trap seems to get em about ever time they set it off,its a pretty
sensative trigger. but i get many with a shovel. i go out and walk the
tunnells down, wait 20 minutes and sneak out slowly to see em pushing up
the tunnells.push shovel in behind them and flip em out on the ground.
this method will give you some insight after a while how they work
tunnells, if they get scared,they ususlly wait 20 minutes to start
digging again .ive also put moth balls in the tunnels but dont know if
it helped. when they push up a big hill of dirt they are usually making
a bedroom, i clear away the dirt pile to find the tunnell and pour in a
strong gallon mix of bleach and water,many times they come running out
and i get em with a shovell.i never had success with killing the grubs
or the castor oil repellants.i cut some moles open and they were mostly
full of earthworms . lucas

Old 22-03-2008, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris

Growing up in the southeast (central NC) I have seen the best mole
solution (or at least, a major improvement) has been to plant Castor
Bean seeds at various locations around the perimeter of my property, as
well as in a few other random places too. Castor Bean Plants are
annuals in zones less than 10 or so, but they seed toward the first
winter frost and drop seeds that will come up again year after year.
All my life I have used these rather attractive, tropical looking plants
in my landscaping and Yes, they can cut down your Mole problems in a
major way. Some of the major seed/landscaping magazines are showing
them in feature articles as attractive plantings as well. ***The moles
tend to avoid areas with castor bean plants, and once mine grow up in
the warmer spring, my mole 'tunnels' begin to decrease a lot too. I
don't have time to go to the expense of ground spraying with poisons for
the grubs, nor do I have the patience to stay out in a 'mole hunt'
trying to catch or whack them. But the castor bean plants have been a
major item in my landscaping for over 40 years, first for 'mole
control', but have begun to appreciate the looks of the plants too.
Yes, they are toxic plants, so if you handle the seeds or plants, simply
wash your hands well. But afterall, mums & many other common flowers
and plants you never thought were toxic or poisonous shouldn't be
handled either without washing. Ck your state's listing of Poisonous
Plants for your state & am sure that you will be more careful about more
common ones we have too. Not sure, but think Park's offers Castor Bean
seeds in their current cat. If not, just Google Castor Bean Seeds.
More common ones are green, but some have a reddish hue, so several
varieties are attractive, but all help the moles go away, or avoid the
areas......Hope you'll try !

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
need help with moles Cody Gardening 4 22-07-2003 05:40 AM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM