Old 22-03-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product

Eddy wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
I'd wait till they are around 9 to 12 inches tall before
spraying.

Hi Chris,

I live in Shropshire too and am looking forwarding to having a go at
the nettles this year. However, ours are only about an inch tall at
the moment. I agree with David when he see it's best to wait till
they're taller. I've done a lot of research into how to get the best
effect out of Glyphosate and it seems to me you need to get as much
spray on as much plant surface as you can because then more will be
absorbed and get into each nettle's system - and as you may know the
root systems of nettles are extensive and pretty tough, so there's on
hell of a lot of root to kill off! Also, I plan to wait till our
nettles are 12 inches tall so that then I can go through them with
hand-shears slicing off the top few inches. I will spray with
Glyphosate immediately after. This will get Glyphosate straight into
the open wounds and nettles also don't like their heads being nipped
off anyway!

Eddy.

There is little point in spraying glyphosate in cold weather. Wait until
the temp reaches at least 15° for a few days. It'll be far more effective.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)