Old 19-03-2008, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product

I am in Shropshire, England. Last year I sprayed a large swathe of nettles
and brambles on 7 acres of field and woodland we bought. I have knocked 7
bells out of the brambles, the nettles didn't suffer as much. I want to
finish them off this year, when's the best time to spray please? What's the
flavour of the month in regard to stuff to use, I don't want to kill grass
or ferns, if possible? I'll be using a comapct tractor spray and a back
pack spray. Thanks.
Old 20-03-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I am in Shropshire, England. Last year I sprayed a large swathe of

nettles
and brambles on 7 acres of field and woodland we bought. I have

knocked 7
bells out of the brambles, the nettles didn't suffer as much. I want

finish them off this year, when's the best time to spray please?

What's the
flavour of the month in regard to stuff to use, I don't want to kill

grass
or ferns, if possible? I'll be using a comapct tractor spray and a

back
pack spray. Thanks.

For best effects you need to spray when the nettles are growing freely
and from what I see in Solihull that would need to be in the next week
or two.

You need to use Glyphosate, but that will kill virtually
everything.http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/actives/glyphosa.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-03-2008, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 20 Mar, 13:44, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
[...]

It sounds to me as if you need to change your spray, some of the
selective Agricultural sprays work better on brambles whilst others
work better on nettles and thistles. check with your supplier.
Nettles are starting to grow away now :Good time to pick them for
cooking: I'd wait till they are around 9 to 12 inches tall before
spraying.
Do remember to leave some as food plants for Peacock butterfly
caterpillars which feed on nettles;
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 22-03-2008, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
I'd wait till they are around 9 to 12 inches tall before
spraying.

Hi Chris,

I live in Shropshire too and am looking forwarding to having a go at the
nettles this year. However, ours are only about an inch tall at the
moment. I agree with David when he see it's best to wait till they're
taller. I've done a lot of research into how to get the best effect out
of Glyphosate and it seems to me you need to get as much spray on as
much plant surface as you can because then more will be absorbed and get
into each nettle's system - and as you may know the root systems of
nettles are extensive and pretty tough, so there's on hell of a lot of
root to kill off! Also, I plan to wait till our nettles are 12 inches
tall so that then I can go through them with hand-shears slicing off the
top few inches. I will spray with Glyphosate immediately after. This
will get Glyphosate straight into the open wounds and nettles also don't
like their heads being nipped off anyway!

Eddy.

Old 22-03-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eddy wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

There is little point in spraying glyphosate in cold weather. Wait until
the temp reaches at least 15° for a few days. It'll be far more effective.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 22-03-2008, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
There is little point in spraying glyphosate in cold weather. Wait until
the temp reaches at least 15° for a few days. It'll be far more effective.

Really? If so, thanks for warning! I sprayed a parking area, filling
up with grass and weeds, with sodium chlorate about a month ago (pretty
cold at that time) and it has worked well. Is Glyphosate different?

Eddy.

Old 22-03-2008, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Wilson wrote:

I am in Shropshire, England. Last year I sprayed a large swathe of nettles
and brambles on 7 acres of field and woodland we bought. I have knocked 7
bells out of the brambles, the nettles didn't suffer as much. I want to
finish them off this year, when's the best time to spray please? What's the
flavour of the month in regard to stuff to use, I don't want to kill grass
or ferns, if possible? I'll be using a comapct tractor spray and a back
pack spray. Thanks.

Chris, have just found good advice amongst the information on the
following page. In short, it advises spraying with glyphosate when the
weeds are 6" high and spraying onto dry weeds and at the beginning of a
fairly lengthy rain-free period.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~news/story.php?id=3604

Eddy.

Old 22-03-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:
| Chris Wilson wrote:
|
| I am in Shropshire, England. Last year I sprayed a large swathe of nettles
| and brambles on 7 acres of field and woodland we bought. I have knocked 7
| bells out of the brambles, the nettles didn't suffer as much. I want to
| finish them off this year, when's the best time to spray please? What's the
| flavour of the month in regard to stuff to use, I don't want to kill grass
| or ferns, if possible? I'll be using a comapct tractor spray and a back
| pack spray. Thanks.
|
| Chris, have just found good advice amongst the information on the
| following page. In short, it advises spraying with glyphosate when the
| weeds are 6" high and spraying onto dry weeds and at the beginning of a
| fairly lengthy rain-free period.
|
| http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~news/story.php?id=3604

With all due respect to our transpondian colleagues and you, just
exactly HOW are you planning to arrange a fairly lengthy rain-free
period in the UK?

We are all waiting for your answer with bated breath ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
With all due respect to our transpondian colleagues and you, just
exactly HOW are you planning to arrange a fairly lengthy rain-free
period in the UK?

We are all waiting for your answer with bated breath ....

Hee, hee. Abate your breath no longer! You'll die waiting!

Eddy.

P.S. I'm waiting for the next group of 3 - 4 dry days.

Old 24-03-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eddy writes:

| With all due respect to our transpondian colleagues and you, just
| exactly HOW are you planning to arrange a fairly lengthy rain-free
| period in the UK?
|
| We are all waiting for your answer with bated breath ....
|
| Hee, hee. Abate your breath no longer! You'll die waiting!

Indeed :-)

| P.S. I'm waiting for the next group of 3 - 4 dry days.

Predicting even that far ahead is problematic!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Brambles/nettles Sparx Gardening 10 20-01-2012 03:06 AM
Kindle: Amazon's best selling product of all time. Big Crotch on a Small Fish Gardening 0 31-12-2010 12:54 AM
Brambles and nettles. McKevvy United Kingdom 29 01-07-2009 12:19 AM
When is best time to spray lawns for clover? Dave Australia 18 24-08-2004 12:03 AM
Best time to spray RUKind Lawns 3 18-04-2003 01:08 PM