Old 23-03-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Orchid Fever

Yeah, the plant size ticks me off, too. I miss Stewart's Orchids. Now
There you could buy plants in a 6" pot! But time passes quickly and they
grow. And besides when the heat is on you just sorta lose control, *G*.

I'm in a seedling sort of phase in my collection. I've been buying compots
and flasks of new untried stuff to see if there'll be something awardable
amongst the chaff. Spending a lot of time watching small plants become big
ones. Plus its a challenge keeping all those small pots watered (you know
how I hate to water) But when something unexpectedly comes into bloom I
wonder 'now where'd I get that one?' or 'why'd I only buy one?'. And I've
been tossing out stuff, too. Yeah, I know I'm supposed to pass it along at
the society BBQ, but if I think its crap why give it to a newbie and only
frustrate them?

C&H has 2 minicatts with Precious Katie (one with Mini Purple that isn't in
the main catalog - its in the 'dug ups' section - and one with the
unfortunately named Hobcaw) that look pretty good. Hopefully the plants will
be as nice as the photos of the parents. In all my years of growing I
finally read the catalog to see that they put an 'M' on their mericlones,
LOL!!! I've been trying to avoid mericlones. Sure, they are tried and true
stock, but - I dunno - maybe its a bit of the gold prospector in me. I
wanna see new stuff.

I got my AOS renewal - the 2 yrs for $99 WOC special - with the $30 coupon
(on a $100 purchase). Now I have to buy more! Lord almighty, I feel the
temperature rising....

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Hunka hunka burnin' love! Diana's Drooler, huh? Excellent!

The only problem with the C & H catalog is the size of the plants. I
always have to ask myself if I have the time to wait. But what orchids
they are!

Diana