Old 23-03-2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Agcm magdalenae

Anyone grow Angraecum magdalenae? I bought a freshly potted seedling a two
years ago from Cal Orchids and it went into a rapid decline. I was there
last year and saw their remaining stock was in a worse state than mine, so I
know it wasn't just me. LOL!!

The books say its from Madagascar, higher elevations and grows either
lithophytically or amongst leaf litter. I have mine in a 3" plastic pot in
straight small fir bark. Sitting in front of the swamp cooler. Probably
gets 57F at night and 80F days. Bright light. Watered like a cattleya.
Probably (realistically) humidity goes from 30% to 90%. The plant had a
leaf span of about 3-4 inches when I bought it and its about 2" now (tip to
tip).

I was going to give up and replace it, so I looked around for vendors.
Norman's says its warm to intermediate. Hoosiers says its intermediate to
cool (I believe Hoosiers because they bought Fred Hillerman's stock).

The Bakers on OW give the best culture advice, but I wondered about real
world experience, so I come here. Anyone grow 'em? If so, how far off am
I?

K Barrett