Old 23-03-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Paul Simon Paul Simon is offline

Default Agcm magdalenae

I can't say that I have bloomed mine but think it is light. It grows fine
but is hard to keep the leaves from shriveling unless I keep it under the
bench out of the sun and then it doesn't get enough light to bloom. I've
been looking at my angraecoids that survive and the ones that don't make it
come from lower elevations (warmer) climate. That's probably the winter
lows.

Your greenhouse temps are about the same as mine, mine go a littile lower
than yours in winter.

I'd take it away from the front of the swamp cooler. My feeling is that it
doesn't need as much air movement since the leaves are pretty thick. It is
a good place though for masdevallia etc.

I'd repot the plant. I use coco chips but bark is fine. It's hard to get
the roots into the mix as the ones in the pot tend to rot out and it's hard
to water the ones that stick out. Maybe soak them before.

You know the routine: food, light and water. The temps sound ok to me.

Paul
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone grow Angraecum magdalenae? I bought a freshly potted seedling a

two
years ago from Cal Orchids and it went into a rapid decline. I was there
last year and saw their remaining stock was in a worse state than mine, so

know it wasn't just me. LOL!!

The books say its from Madagascar, higher elevations and grows either
lithophytically or amongst leaf litter. I have mine in a 3" plastic pot

in
straight small fir bark. Sitting in front of the swamp cooler. Probably
gets 57F at night and 80F days. Bright light. Watered like a cattleya.
Probably (realistically) humidity goes from 30% to 90%. The plant had a
leaf span of about 3-4 inches when I bought it and its about 2" now (tip

tip).

I was going to give up and replace it, so I looked around for vendors.
Norman's says its warm to intermediate. Hoosiers says its intermediate to
cool (I believe Hoosiers because they bought Fred Hillerman's stock).

The Bakers on OW give the best culture advice, but I wondered about real
world experience, so I come here. Anyone grow 'em? If so, how far off am
I?

K Barrett