Old 25-03-2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Agcm magdalenae

White flowers bored me at the time, so I gave it away.

Where was I when this giveaway was in progress??

Diana

"tenman" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
I am just floored
that the real world experience differs so far from teh book-learning
experience. I'd never have expected these to like moss. I'd have
thought they wouldn't like the moisture so long at the roots or to be
repotted as frequntly as moss does (in my hands it gets sour
fast)(crappy water) But there ya go. Learn something new every day!

I was too, but then Tom Nasser from Carolina Orchids, the Agraecum guru
on the east coast, suggested a number of medium options including a
promix-based one. He said they actually like water, just good drainage,
and the promix type mixes have the advantage that at repotting time you
can just spray it off and not really disturb the roots very much. You can
even leave them in the same pot if they haven't outgrown it and just wash
out the old mix and shake in new.

I killed a lovely large Veitchii a couple years back. It was in a badly
broken down cattleya-type mix after about five years or so and I repotted
it. Dead within a two months. I didn't really expect it as I had repotted
it twice before and it had never shown any negative reaction at all. Go
figure.