Old 25-03-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default gooseberries resistant to gray mildew?

Emery
I cannot pass comment on how they will perform in your part of France
but would suggest the following.
Hinnomäki is available in a red green and golden form. Early growth
is very thorny, dense like as raspberry but thorny , older wood is
more typical of gooseberries
Pax is a red resistant variety (but I am not keen on the flavour)
Invicta has some resistance to mildew, I find that it is OK, but it
does have a weeping habit, so you need to prune hard to keep the
branches up.
As for a supplier have a look at http://www.delbard.com they stock
Hinnomäki and supply many UK growers. Delbard are big in micro
propagation so at least they shall be virus free.
The Agroforestry Research Trust offer a nice range of American
Gooseberry Mildew resistant varieties and they ship to France http://
www.agroforestry.co.uk
Good luck
Clifford