Old 24-03-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default gooseberries resistant to gray mildew?

Hello,

Finally ripped out my old 'gogs last year as the crops had become almost
non-existent,
the plants were a mess of mildew regardless of frequent treatments.

Looking to replant 4 or 5 bushes, say 2 dessert and 2 jam, also probably
2 white and
2 red. What do folks reckon are the most resistant to mildew?

Also considering a jostaberry, any experiences good or bad?

Information on online sources that would ship to France is welcome. I'm
in Normandy.

Thanks,

-E
Old 25-03-2008, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Hello,

Finally ripped out my old 'gogs last year as the crops had become almost
non-existent,
the plants were a mess of mildew regardless of frequent treatments.

Looking to replant 4 or 5 bushes, say 2 dessert and 2 jam, also probably 2
white and
2 red. What do folks reckon are the most resistant to mildew?

Also considering a jostaberry, any experiences good or bad?

Information on online sources that would ship to France is welcome. I'm
in Normandy.

I have Golden Drop and Leveller and they are healthy bushes

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 25-03-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery
I cannot pass comment on how they will perform in your part of France
but would suggest the following.
Hinnomäki is available in a red green and golden form. Early growth
is very thorny, dense like as raspberry but thorny , older wood is
more typical of gooseberries
Pax is a red resistant variety (but I am not keen on the flavour)
Invicta has some resistance to mildew, I find that it is OK, but it
does have a weeping habit, so you need to prune hard to keep the
branches up.
As for a supplier have a look at http://www.delbard.com they stock
Hinnomäki and supply many UK growers. Delbard are big in micro
propagation so at least they shall be virus free.
The Agroforestry Research Trust offer a nice range of American
Gooseberry Mildew resistant varieties and they ship to France http://
www.agroforestry.co.uk
Good luck
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Old 25-03-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Mar, 12:53, cliff_the_gardener
wrote:
[...]

Josta berries are a great fruit or so my birds say, I have yet to have
one in 5 years.
I know I should net them but they are large bushes
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 25-03-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for the information. Leveller is a good hint as is the hint
about Invicta
having a weeping habit. Pain in the neck that, and of course makes it
more prone
to the fuzz (even though that cultivar is meant to be resistant).

David, how big did the Josta get? I've got limited space for these fruits.

Thanks,

-E

Old 26-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_2_] View Post
Hello,
Finally ripped out my old 'gogs last year as the crops had become almost
non-existent, the plants were a mess of mildew regardless of frequent treatments.
My mother and I have grown gooseberries from the same source material (probably was a leveller originally) in a number of gardens, dry, wet, alkaline, neutral, and we conclude that some places are just hostile to gooseberries, without being able to discern any obvious reason for it. They will grow in clay, in light soil, in wet places, in dry places. And then similar places they refuse to grow. Probably on balance they grow better in damp places (Cheshire being a famous gooseberry county) and mildew is a sign of drought stress. But we have grown them perfectly well in drier conditions on chalk hills in SE England, regularly abandoned by going on long holidays, without any cossetting or over-religious watering. But when they won't grow, there is no obvious reason. When they grow well, they don't need defending. When they are attacked, no defence is good enough.