Old 26-03-2008, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Sungold Damping Off Update - F1 query

On Mar 26, 1:50*pm, judith wrote:
From the 23 seeds sown I have finished up with 15 healthy plants
(potted on to 3" post).

2 of the seeds didn't germinate : 4 had damping off.

This leaves two which germinated OK after the others but are just not
growing at all.

It is almost if they were not true F1s - the runts of the crop -
anyone ever had this?

As I said earlier I was very careful clean/disinfectanted *trays and
posts - brand new potting compost - used Cheshunt Compound.

The two packets of seeds (average contents 10) cost 6 quid (Thomson
and Morgan - expensive) so not impressed with the success rate.

I will try Unwin's next year - any one have any experience comments on
their Sungold?

Just bought a packet (Uniwins) for 4.50 euro approx (I cannot remember
exact price) in Dublin with 30 seeds stated content; looks like 40.
2 years ago, I bought a T+M packet with average content stated to be
10 seeds; there were 15 and I got 15 plants so I was well pleased but
it ended up as an overcrowded grrenhouse. I only had room for about
8.

Des