Old 27-03-2008, 02:04 PM
jay jay jay jay is offline
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
It's not disease, it's just weather damage, always a risk with magnolia flowers, especially if they are early flowering. Frost is the common cause, but battering from rain and wind can also cause it. .
Hello Echinosum, many thanks for your reply. I started out with such hopes for this Magnolia but I guess it could well be doomed - yes we've had frost, heavy rain and yes its normal! But other Magnolias round here flower at the same time and look healthy. I don't think mine is particularly exposed and it's definitely not in a frost pocket. It IS east facing but that means early morning sun. I wonder if it would be worth covering it with fleece as the flower buds open? At least whilst it is young enough to reach the top...

jay jay
jay jay france