Old 27-03-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default magnolia soulangeana brown petals

In article ,
says...

Hello, I have a two year-old magnolia soulangeana which has produced
five flowers this year. Sadly, the petals have become brown and dull
as they opened out. I have tried googling to find out the problem but
nothing has come up, except that magnolias tend to be disease free! In
all other respects the young tree seems healthy. I hope someone can
help.

jay jay
france

--
jay jay

Frost damage is what you have, there is nothing to be done except hope
the plant has better timing in future years, as it gets bigger the buds
will be higher and therefore a bit less vunerable but even in the west of
Cornwall it can break your heart to see the display that you have waited
12 months to see gone in a couple of hours when night temperatures dip
below zero. The gardens that grow them tend to use woodland settings
which helps, there are later flowering magnolias so if it is a regular
occurence you could plant another later flowerer.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk