Old 28-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Royal Empress Tree

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood?
(it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it
difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive
fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

It's Paulownia tomentosa, It's a pretty bad weed in parts of the US, not
so bad in others.
http://nbii-nin.ciesin.columbia.edu/...do?specieId=83

It's extremely brittle wooded (I can snag a branch on a sleeve and break
it off without damaging my shirt, and the
one I've been trying to kill here (and all its nasty little offspring)
produces a wood that burns far faster on the bonfire than douglas fir or
vine maple. Looks like it's getting weedy in Germany also:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/cens...tracts_r-t.htm

And it looks like it's escaped in Britain in at least several instances:
Hill, M., Baker, R., et al., (2005). Audit of non-native species in England.
English Nature Research Reports N° 662, English Nature.

Kay