Old 27-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Default Royal Empress Tree

Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an extraordinary rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood? (it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

thanks in advance
Old 28-03-2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good question.

If you plant it here are some planting suggestions based on tree biology.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Wait a year before pruning branches maintaining a symplast and fertilizing.
Mulching a great idea if done correctly.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
Pruning help:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"pilchardthecat" wrote in
message news

Old 28-03-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"pilchardthecat" wrote in
message news

Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually
butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood
burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an extraordinary
rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood?
(it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it
difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive
fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

Ash might be a better choice.

Old 28-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood?
(it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it
difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive
fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

It's Paulownia tomentosa, It's a pretty bad weed in parts of the US, not
so bad in others.
http://nbii-nin.ciesin.columbia.edu/...do?specieId=83

It's extremely brittle wooded (I can snag a branch on a sleeve and break
it off without damaging my shirt, and the
one I've been trying to kill here (and all its nasty little offspring)
produces a wood that burns far faster on the bonfire than douglas fir or
vine maple. Looks like it's getting weedy in Germany also:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/cens...tracts_r-t.htm

And it looks like it's escaped in Britain in at least several instances:
Hill, M., Baker, R., et al., (2005). Audit of non-native species in England.
English Nature Research Reports N° 662, English Nature.

Kay

Old 28-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilchardthecat View Post
Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an extraordinary rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense wood? (it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i find it difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

thanks in advance
As already suggested, ash would be a better tree choice for firewood.

Old 28-03-2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

pilchardthecat wrote:
Hello

I am considering planting a fast-growing tree which i can annually
butcher with my chainsaw for the purpose of shoving it into my wood
burning stove. I am led to believe this tree grows at an
extraordinary
rate.

Does anyone know anything about it? Does it have reasonably dense
wood? (it's supposedly hardwood, although at that rate of growth i
find it difficult to accept). Also i dont want to plant an invasive
fast-spreading species that will upset the neighbours!

Hardwood != hard wood. Balsa is a hardwood. It's a taxonomic
distinction unrelated to the properties of the wood.

In any case, in some parts of the US it's considered a "noxious weed".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)