Old 28-03-2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
YMC[_2_] YMC[_2_] is offline

Default Is Conifer Pine Mulch Toxic or otherwise bad for the garden?

"Billy" wrote in message
Another person might tell you that using fresh pine chips invites
artillery fungus which is also called the "sphere thrower". Usually pine
mulch will simply lower the pH of the soil, making it more acidic. If
you are only using pine chips from your own trees, it is probably safe
to use it. If there is a problem with artillery fungus,"sphere thrower"
fungus, in the area then it is best to avoid it.

Secondly, any chemical fertilizers will kill the natural, and desired,
micro flora and fauna in you soil. Use fish emulsion or some other
organic source.
--

Thanks Billy.

My garden is mainly clay soil. A bit of pine mulch would probably do it
good.

The trees look pretty healthy to me. Green, strong, no sign of yellowing,
any more healthier and I think that'd get up and walk. I don't think they
suffer from any disease.

The latest tree pruner suggested placing the mulch in a seperate part of the
garden which is hidden. We'll do that and keep it there for awhile til its
safer to use.