Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

Default Free tree from Austin Energy

"whit" wrote in message
| They were canvasing our neighbood a couple weeks ago, looking for
trees
| near power lines. We have a couple hackberrys that will soon be
growing
| into the lines. They offered to either top the tree or remove it.
Since
| it's a hackberry and I've seen what they do to trees they top, I
decided
| to have it removed.
|
| They said they won't remove the stump but "paint" something on the
cut,
| to kill it. Anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be concerned
about
| my nearby garden, which is down hill from the hackberry?
|
| The cool part is since the tree they are removing is "big enough" I
get
| a free tree. I have my choice of Texas Redbud, Mountain Laurel or
youpon
| holly. I'm getting the Redbud. The downside is they tell us where to
| plant it, and have us agree to water it regularly.
|
| Thanks

Would you mind reporting in what part of town you live? We're still
suffering the effects of the first year's foray into tree-topping
and -killing by the City's subcontractors and it would be good to be
prepared if these vandals are heading to close-in South Austin for a
repeat tour of destruction.