Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
whit

Default Free tree from Austin Energy

They were canvasing our neighbood a couple weeks ago, looking for trees
near power lines. We have a couple hackberrys that will soon be growing
into the lines. They offered to either top the tree or remove it. Since
it's a hackberry and I've seen what they do to trees they top, I decided
to have it removed.

They said they won't remove the stump but "paint" something on the cut,
to kill it. Anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be concerned about
my nearby garden, which is down hill from the hackberry?

The cool part is since the tree they are removing is "big enough" I get
a free tree. I have my choice of Texas Redbud, Mountain Laurel or youpon
holly. I'm getting the Redbud. The downside is they tell us where to
plant it, and have us agree to water it regularly.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

"whit" wrote in message
| They were canvasing our neighbood a couple weeks ago, looking for
trees
| near power lines. We have a couple hackberrys that will soon be
growing
| into the lines. They offered to either top the tree or remove it.
Since
| it's a hackberry and I've seen what they do to trees they top, I
decided
| to have it removed.
|
| They said they won't remove the stump but "paint" something on the
cut,
| to kill it. Anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be concerned
about
| my nearby garden, which is down hill from the hackberry?
|
| The cool part is since the tree they are removing is "big enough" I
get
| a free tree. I have my choice of Texas Redbud, Mountain Laurel or
youpon
| holly. I'm getting the Redbud. The downside is they tell us where to
| plant it, and have us agree to water it regularly.
|
| Thanks

Would you mind reporting in what part of town you live? We're still
suffering the effects of the first year's foray into tree-topping
and -killing by the City's subcontractors and it would be good to be
prepared if these vandals are heading to close-in South Austin for a
repeat tour of destruction.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
gruber

"Texensis" wrote in message

"whit" wrote in message
| They were canvasing our neighbood a couple weeks ago, looking for
trees
| near power lines. We have a couple hackberrys that will soon be
growing
| into the lines. They offered to either top the tree or remove it.
Since
| it's a hackberry and I've seen what they do to trees they top, I
decided
| to have it removed.
|
| They said they won't remove the stump but "paint" something on the
cut,
| to kill it. Anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be concerned
about
| my nearby garden, which is down hill from the hackberry?
|
| The cool part is since the tree they are removing is "big enough" I
get
| a free tree. I have my choice of Texas Redbud, Mountain Laurel or
youpon
| holly. I'm getting the Redbud. The downside is they tell us where to
| plant it, and have us agree to water it regularly.
|
| Thanks

Would you mind reporting in what part of town you live? We're still
suffering the effects of the first year's foray into tree-topping
and -killing by the City's subcontractors and it would be good to be
prepared if these vandals are heading to close-in South Austin for a
repeat tour of destruction.

They came through our older neighborhood in Oak Hill last week. I was
watching closely after reading horror stories in this ng a few months back.
No full trees were cut down, no Bart Simpson toppings done and overall the
trimming was done with discretion. I don't know if someone had the riot act
read to them or if we just got a better crew, but I have no complaints.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Whit

I'm near Congress and Olforf. Davey tree, is the company I believe. I
haven't seen any work being done, but I think it will start in the next
couple weeks.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Whit

I'll make a couple calls monday, they left a flyer on our door last
week.

animaux wrote:

You should indeed be concerned. Ask them what the stuff is before they use it.
You can also just pay someone about 25 dollars to come grind the stump out or
rent a grinder and do it yourself with no worries of toxics.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

"Whit" wrote in message
| I'm near Congress and Olforf. Davey tree, is the company I believe.
| haven't seen any work being done, but I think it will start in the
next
| couple weeks.

Thanks. The new-tree offer is definitely something new since the last
time round, when they just came in, trampled gardens, climbed on
roofs, topped trees if not given permission to clear-cut, and accepted
just anyone's permission to chop down or top just anyone's trees, no
matter on whose property they were. Are they putting pink and yellow
survey tapes around tree trunks? Or does all that marking with tape
have to do with more excavation for laying
fiber-optic?........enquiring minds.....

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
gruber

"Texensis" wrote in message

"Whit" wrote in message
| I'm near Congress and Olforf. Davey tree, is the company I believe.
| haven't seen any work being done, but I think it will start in the
next
| couple weeks.

Thanks. The new-tree offer is definitely something new since the last
time round, when they just came in, trampled gardens, climbed on
roofs, topped trees if not given permission to clear-cut, and accepted
just anyone's permission to chop down or top just anyone's trees, no
matter on whose property they were. Are they putting pink and yellow
survey tapes around tree trunks? Or does all that marking with tape
have to do with more excavation for laying
fiber-optic?........enquiring minds.....

The tape marks the trees that need work. At least, the ones that were
marked (a few weeks earlier) were the ones that were trimmed.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
B.Server

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:27:40 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

When that happens in our part of Houston (Bellaire), we get a note on
the door saying they are coming next week and to leave notes on the
trees.

Outside of birds depositing seeds, no one should plant a tree that will
get near the height of power lines.

That's going to make it a little difficult to enjoy the often extolled
benefits of a shaded house isn't it? Or did you mean planted near a
utility easement?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Texensis

B.Server wrote in message
news | On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:27:40 -0600, J Kolenovsky
| wrote:
|
| When that happens in our part of Houston (Bellaire), we get a note
on
| the door saying they are coming next week and to leave notes on the
| trees.
|
| Outside of birds depositing seeds, no one should plant a tree that
will
| get near the height of power lines.
|
| That's going to make it a little difficult to enjoy the often
extolled
| benefits of a shaded house isn't it? Or did you mean planted near a
| utility easement?

Not to mention trees that weren't planted near a utility
easement--live oaks that were there long before there were houses or
utility easements...............

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
starlia

The grinder does not guarantee the tree will not grow back. I work for the
City and I tried that on several trees. We ended up getting root stop on
the stump. It doesn't kill anything around the roots if it is "applied
correctly."

"animaux" wrote in message
You should indeed be concerned. Ask them what the stuff is before they

use it.
You can also just pay someone about 25 dollars to come grind the stump out

or
rent a grinder and do it yourself with no worries of toxics.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:41:57 GMT, whit

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
gary

When they cut down a big hackberry under our power lines, they put some
colored stuff on the stump that is supposed to keep it from growing back,
but I am doubtful. In my front yard, we had another hackberry removed and
the stump ground out. But a few of the old roots continue to send up shoots
which I carefully coat with Roundup. We'll see how that goes.

On the other hand, an even larger hackberry that was split by the wind, cut
down and the stump ground out never shot up a single shoot.

An old method of dealing with stumps was to drill many deep holes in it and
fill them with motor oil. (Insert appropriate expression of horror here.)

gary