Old 29-03-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Bolting Rhubarb

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from "Plum" contains these words:

Rhubard bolting in March? Oh dear. I know about stress, but what
stress?
It has plenty of water, light, manure and compost. The only other
explanation I can find is that it is the wrong type. Not much help.
Ideas welcomed.

When did you last move your rhubarb?

I used to move ours every 4 - 5 years,
and never had 'bolting' problems.

At what time of year did you move it, Anne?

I used to dig it up at the back-end of the year, leave it
for the frost to work its magic on the root, and replant
in the Spring. We always had two or three clumps on the go,
and I did this on a rotation system.

--
AnneJ

Oh bugger! Too late this year then :-(