Old 30-03-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acers in tubs

Billit wrote:
I would like views on growing Acers in tubs, Could anyone tell me the
size of tub required and also the compost that would be most suitable.

There's lots of info on this subject. (To wit I have changed the subject to
be more evocative.)

Some Acers are difficult to grow in containers. For example sycamores or
paperbark maples get too big, and require at best frequent root pruning.

But you're not really asking that I suppose. You mean "Japanese Maples."
Use a pot only slightly larger than the container it came in, don't try
to pot
out to the eventual size. Otherwise you are likely to have drainage
problems.
Increase pot size as necessary. When you've reached the size you want
root prune every 3 years.

You can see some recommendations for soil he

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ad.php?t=17604

MO is drainage is everything, not too much peat (hard to wet once dry) and
not to acid. Acer palmatum should not be planted in straight ericeous
compost.

Good luck.

-E