Old 31-03-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acers in tubs

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Layman wrote:
Emery Davis wrote:
Billit wrote:
I would like views on growing Acers in tubs, Could anyone tell me the
size of tub required and also the compost that would be most
suitable.

MO is drainage is everything, not too much peat (hard to wet once
dry) and not to acid. Acer palmatum should not be planted in
straight ericeous compost.

Yes, just about all refs give the need for "well-drained" soil.

But where did the statement about ericaceous compost come from? According
to the RHS Dictionary of Gardening, "Most species prefer a neutral to
slightly acid soil". None of the books I have make any reference to not
using straight ericaceous compost.

"neutral to slightly acid" is standard for A. palmatum, as cited from
Vertrees 3rd ed.
"Japanese Maples." I think the issue is that most ericaceous (my
spelling error earlier)
compost one buys has too low a pH. (Tried to find rapidly the "ideal"
pH for palmatum
but didn't see it.) I know of no serious collector who uses straight
ericaceous compost.

See for example here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/1579.shtml
(and other pages with a google search on "acer" and "ericaceous compost").

Just FYI, this page tells us that we can plant this maple on
chalky/alkaline soil.
Not impossible but it would require a very green finger indeed to get it
to grow. Also
so to not get kicked out of the Society I am honour bound to mention
that there
is no Atropurpureum group, nor is this a proper cultivar. What's found
on the market
under this designation is a grex at best, but more likely seed grown
plants of uncertain
habit and vigour.

FWIW, I have grown A. palmatum "shindeshojo" in ericaceous compost for 7
years. It continues to do well, and IMHO is still the best red-leaved
palmatum cultivar around.

I'm glad your plant is doing well and that you enjoy it. I suspect the
compost is
not so acid anymore unless you amend it.

Shin deshojo is a gorgeous maple in spring but is not known for holding
it's colour
well into summer. For that reason Vertrees lists it as group 1a,
(palmatum/upright/green),
and while van Gelderen et al put it in 1b (red) they mention that the
leaves fade to
dark green in summer. Although I don't yet grow this one I do the
original Deshojo (shin
simply means "new" in Japanese) and am very impressed by how well it
holds its colour.
Since mislabeling is endemic with maples, if yours stays a good red all
summer I'd wonder
if it is really who it purports to be!

cheers,

-E