Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
gary

Default Free tree from Austin Energy

When they cut down a big hackberry under our power lines, they put some
colored stuff on the stump that is supposed to keep it from growing back,
but I am doubtful. In my front yard, we had another hackberry removed and
the stump ground out. But a few of the old roots continue to send up shoots
which I carefully coat with Roundup. We'll see how that goes.

On the other hand, an even larger hackberry that was split by the wind, cut
down and the stump ground out never shot up a single shoot.

An old method of dealing with stumps was to drill many deep holes in it and
fill them with motor oil. (Insert appropriate expression of horror here.)

gary

"starlia" wrote in message
The grinder does not guarantee the tree will not grow back. I work for

the
City and I tried that on several trees. We ended up getting root stop on
the stump. It doesn't kill anything around the roots if it is "applied
correctly."

"animaux" wrote in message
You should indeed be concerned. Ask them what the stuff is before they

use it.
You can also just pay someone about 25 dollars to come grind the stump

out
or
rent a grinder and do it yourself with no worries of toxics.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:41:57 GMT, whit

wrote:

They were canvasing our neighbood a couple weeks ago, looking for trees
near power lines. We have a couple hackberrys that will soon be growing
into the lines. They offered to either top the tree or remove it. Since
it's a hackberry and I've seen what they do to trees they top, I

decided
to have it removed.

They said they won't remove the stump but "paint" something on the cut,
to kill it. Anyone know what this stuff is? Should I be concerned about
my nearby garden, which is down hill from the hackberry?

The cool part is since the tree they are removing is "big enough" I get
a free tree. I have my choice of Texas Redbud, Mountain Laurel or

youpon
holly. I'm getting the Redbud. The downside is they tell us where to
plant it, and have us agree to water it regularly.

Thanks