Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Arborvitae keep dying

I plant a lot of trees with good success, but I'm on my fourth Arborvitae in
this same
spot on the west side of my house (about half day sun). Living here 20 years I
am sure there was no contamination on that spot. Just across the sidewalk is
another
Arborvitae that has survived for several years now. Originally there were Red
Cedars growing in these places, but I pulled them out about 8 years ago when a
problem with Apple Cedar Rust developed. The last tree was planted last fall
and
started browning out over the winter. It may be wind burn, but everything
around it
(grass, yew bushes, apple trees, and the other Arborvitae) are unaffected. This

variety is supposed to be hearty, but I think they are susceptible to damage for

their first and possibly second year after planting. Well, I am waiting for
Menards
to get in their trees and maybe they will honor their exchange pollicy (this
current
tree was a replacement). I want to stick with Arborvitae to balance off the
tree on
the other side of the entrance walk and don't want to spend a bundle on a 5 foot

exotic evergreen. Any ideas on how to prevent another dead tree?

Sherwin