Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
takethisout takethisout is offline

Default Yellowing Yucca

Cat(h) wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00 pm, Steve wrote:
I have a Yucca 10 - 15 years old (I think). It is in fairly dry, sandy
soil and it has always seemed quite healthy, flowering most years. In
the last year or two I have noticed that the leaves are a paler, more
yellowish green than they used to be. I am in coastal eastern Scotland.
I have seen other Yuccas in the area that are a nice healthy looking
green. Any suggestions for perking it up will be gratefully received.

You can see it at

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0483_1.jpg

TIA

Steve

Is that really a yucca, or a cordyline?

Cat(h)

Well I could be wrong, but it seems to match the description I have of
Yucca aloifolia (Spanish Bayonet).

Features that had me convinced include the branched stem (it has 3
heads) and the stout erect panicles, 18 inches long, of pendent bell
shaped flowers, held above the foliage, that appear in late summer.

You can no doubt tell that I just copied that from a book, but it does
describe this specimen exactly. Are there Cordylines that have those
features too?