Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yellowing Yucca

I have a Yucca 10 - 15 years old (I think). It is in fairly dry, sandy
soil and it has always seemed quite healthy, flowering most years. In
the last year or two I have noticed that the leaves are a paler, more
yellowish green than they used to be. I am in coastal eastern Scotland.
I have seen other Yuccas in the area that are a nice healthy looking
green. Any suggestions for perking it up will be gratefully received.

You can see it at

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0483_1.jpg

TIA

Steve
Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 7:00*pm, Steve wrote:
I have a Yucca 10 - 15 years old (I think). *It is in fairly dry, sandy
soil and it has always seemed quite healthy, flowering most years. *In
the last year or two I have noticed that the leaves are a paler, more
yellowish green than they used to be. *I am in coastal eastern Scotland.
* I have seen other Yuccas in the area that are a nice healthy looking
green. *Any suggestions for perking it up will be gratefully received.

You can see it at

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0483_1.jpg

TIA

Steve

Is that really a yucca, or a cordyline?

Cat(h)
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00 pm, Steve wrote:
I have a Yucca 10 - 15 years old (I think). It is in fairly dry, sandy
soil and it has always seemed quite healthy, flowering most years. In
the last year or two I have noticed that the leaves are a paler, more
yellowish green than they used to be. I am in coastal eastern Scotland.
I have seen other Yuccas in the area that are a nice healthy looking
green. Any suggestions for perking it up will be gratefully received.

You can see it at

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0483_1.jpg

TIA

Steve

Is that really a yucca, or a cordyline?

Cat(h)

Well I could be wrong, but it seems to match the description I have of
Yucca aloifolia (Spanish Bayonet).

Features that had me convinced include the branched stem (it has 3
heads) and the stout erect panicles, 18 inches long, of pendent bell
shaped flowers, held above the foliage, that appear in late summer.

You can no doubt tell that I just copied that from a book, but it does
describe this specimen exactly. Are there Cordylines that have those
features too?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00 pm, Steve wrote:
I have a Yucca 10 - 15 years old (I think). It is in fairly dry,
sandy soil and it has always seemed quite healthy, flowering most
years. In the last year or two I have noticed that the leaves are a
paler, more yellowish green than they used to be. I am in coastal
eastern Scotland. I have seen other Yuccas in the area that are a
nice healthy looking green. Any suggestions for perking it up will
be gratefully received.

You can see it at

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0483_1.jpg

TIA

Steve

Is that really a yucca, or a cordyline?

Cat(h)

Nothing like the 15' Cordyline I had until 2 years ago.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 7:46*pm, takethisout
wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

features too?- Hide quoted text -

I don't claim to be an expert, and no doubt someone more qualified
here can comment further.
I asked the question because cordylines do very well outdoors here in
Ireland - a climate perhaps relatively comparable to coastal scotland
(?). Whereas yuccas are sold as indoors plants - even if mine lives
in a pot all year round up against the south facing gable end of my
house, in a suntrap.
The two plants look very similar, but seen as you are describing
pendent bell flowers, which definitely sound like yucca flowers, and
maybe not so much like cordyline flowers.
So, in short, maybe I am talking out of my hat :-)

Cat(h)

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 3 Apr, 00:02, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:46*pm, takethisout

wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

Either way... could it be in need of a feed?

Yucca tip -hardy? Sheila Richards United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 11:32 PM
Red yucca Karen Kay Texas 10 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
yucca plants---will they grow or survive if planted outdoors? HI HI- Gardening 0 25-03-2003 11:32 AM
yucca plants---will they grow or survive if planted outdoors? Cereoid+10+ Gardening 3 21-03-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] Yucca Schidigera extract lou E Bonsai 2 28-01-2003 02:13 PM