Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bazza Bazza is offline

Default hardy fuchsia

jellyfish wrote:
hi, i bought 3 hardy fuchsias early part of last summer and planted them
they thrived and flowered producing lovely flowers...come winter they
dropped all their leaves and basically became twig bushes (being a
complete novice i thought they had died) and i was gonna dig them up.
But ive noticed right at the base i mean ground level they have tiny
growths bursting from the main stem..my question is if this is normal
will this happen al over the plant or just the base?..and if so how far
if needed should i cut it back for the spring??

I have had one in the garden for a few years, it always grows back from
the ground so in spring I just cut off all the dead wood above ground
and let it get on with it.

Bazza