Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Rye John Rye is offline

Default Ladybirds

Hello All

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 4/4/08 10:16, in article ,
"Bazza" wrote:

Having my shower this morning and watching a ladybird walking on the
wall near the window thinking to myself don't fly into the shower spray
but it took off and landed on the window blind.
On looking closer I counted 7 ladybirds clambering over the window and
blind, some where red or yellow with up to 10 black spots, a few where
black with 4 red spots.
I have seen the odd one in the house before but not of this quantity,
does that mean we are going to have a plague of them this year?

Bazza

That's curious. Talking to my son on the phone yesterday, he said the
French windows in his study were 'swarming' with ladybirds inside the house.
I told him to open the windows and encourage them into the garden. I wonder
what could cause this. Whatever it is, I hope they're the welcome ones.

This thread in most interesting. I am near Ipswich in East Anglia, and until
this Spring had not seen a harlequin ladybird. However I have found 2 on the
inside of a window, and another member of our local garden club has had the
same experience. It looks as though the last generation from last year seems
to have hibernated in our nice warm houses. The problem is that I have not
seen any of our native ones yet. They usually hibernated in my garden shed.
Are the harlequins awake too early, and going to suffer from lack of food and
the cold snap this weekend, or are they going to get off to a rapid start,
and swamp us and our native ones ?

John

--
John Rye