Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Rhubarb sprouting in between patio tiles?!

"Pam Moore" wrote
Clemens
We recently planted two types of rhubarb in patio pots next to one
another; one had come from a family garden, the other was a new plant
purchased at a local garden centre.

They both seem to be growing very well, but we noticed yesterday that a
sprout had emerged from the edge of a nearby drain! And today another
has appeared in the crack between our paving slabs and the wall of the
house. Closer inspection revealed they'd also developed a fondness for
growing in gaps in the paving behind the pots in which they were
originally planted; we're getting quite a family!

Is this normal? What's especially worrying is that the ones growing in
the concrete are developing at a much quicker rate than those in the
pots. Is it likely they've morphed into some kind of weed?!

We're very much novice gardeners and any advice would be much
appreciated!

I can't believe that the shoots between your paving slabs etc are from
the rhubarb you planted in pots. Rhubarb doesn't do that. They must
be some other weed.
Can you give us a link to a photo for us to see?

Quite agree with Pam, this is one plant that is well behaved, just growing
bigger each year, it does not move all over the place like some plants.
You have something else growing in the cracks etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden