Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Daffodil bulbs planting question

On Apr 6, 6:21 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:31:15 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

V.
I am in zone 9 and we seem to get plenty of chilling hours. Mostly
temps in the 30F range. One or two nights this winter of 27 and 29.

These are the daffodils that do well here. Not all are the large cup
type mostly thought of as being "daffodils" Some are miniatures
which are really nice.

Earliest first:
King Alfred
Golden Trumpet
China Lily
Earlicheer
Soleil d'or
Geranium
Mount Hood
Jet Fire
Thalia
Hawera
Minnow
Tahiti
and the last of them just blooming
Double Cheerfulness

Emilie

Thanks, Em! I love bulbs in spring having grown up in Brooklyn and on
Long Island. I miss my daffs. I have not had any luck with them
here. Maybe it just gets too hot during the summer? You're in zone
9, but what are the summers like? We have blazing sun hot in the 100s
for almost three months with very little, if any rain.

It could be the heat; we are also hot, but usually only a couple of
weeks
at a time over 100. Most of the other weeks it' s "only" in the 90s!
We get no rain in the summer.

Be sure that you let the foliage ripen and start to turn yellow before
you
remove it.
Some of mine are in places where I water, and some are in places that
are completely dry all summer.So I don't think that is it.
They do seem to want good drainage in the winter. Our soil is a silty
loam, that drains very well.
I mulch everything all summer which does help to keep the soil cool.
and cuts down on having to water too often

Are any of your listed daffs salmon/white trumpets?

No they aren't, I do have one that is the opposite
( white w/ salmon trumpet) not sure of the name,
maybe Roseworthy?

Emilie