Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Daffodil bulbs planting question

Last fall I was given a bag of Daffodil bulbs. Last fall I also had
major surgery so I never got the bulbs in the ground. They are still
sitting in my garage and a few of them are starting to sprout I don't
want to loose them but I am not sure what to do. Should I go ahead
and plant them in the ground where I had planned to put them or is
there some way to store them until next fall?

I live in California in the foothills known as the gold country at the
3,000 foot level. My hardiness zone is an 8 and the temperatures
around here at this time are in the mid 60's.

Thanks in Advance,
Lee
Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 10:16 pm, wrote:
Last fall I was given a bag of Daffodil bulbs. Last fall I also had
major surgery so I never got the bulbs in the ground. They are still
sitting in my garage and a few of them are starting to sprout I don't
want to loose them but I am not sure what to do. Should I go ahead
and plant them in the ground where I had planned to put them or is
there some way to store them until next fall?

I live in California in the foothills known as the gold country at the
3,000 foot level. My hardiness zone is an 8 and the temperatures
around here at this time are in the mid 60's.

Thanks in Advance,
Lee

Lee
Go on and plant them now. Do plant them deep, but it's really not
necessary to have the ground freeze for good blooms. Have you
ever been to Daffodil Hill? It's off hwy 49 near Sutter Creek and
Jackson, in Amador County. Just over 3000 ft.
Most beautiful display of Daffs you can imagine!

www.amadorcountychamber.com/Daffodil%20Hill.htm

I have a great daffodil display and the ground never freezes here
in the Valley. I dug up some last fall, had way too many, so I
just tossed them on the compost. They all bloomed great this
spring!
Emilie
NorCal

Old 06-04-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 5, 7:37 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:16:37 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 3, 10:16 pm, wrote:
[...]

The ground doesn't have to freeze, but most daffs need a certain
amount of chill hours below the temperature of 45 degrees in order to
form a flower. The exception, but not guarantee are the 'King
Alfreds' which are the only ones I've seen here in my zone 8a bloom
reliably. That's why planting them deeply helps because the deeper,
the cooler the soil.

V.
I am in zone 9 and we seem to get plenty of chilling hours. Mostly
temps in the 30F range. One or two nights this winter of 27 and 29.

These are the daffodils that do well here. Not all are the large cup
type mostly thought of as being "daffodils" Some are miniatures
which are really nice.

Earliest first:
King Alfred
Golden Trumpet
China Lily
Earlicheer
Soleil d'or
Geranium
Mount Hood
Jet Fire
Thalia
Hawera
Minnow
Tahiti
and the last of them just blooming
Double Cheerfulness

Emilie
Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 6, 6:21 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:31:15 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Em! I love bulbs in spring having grown up in Brooklyn and on
Long Island. I miss my daffs. I have not had any luck with them
here. Maybe it just gets too hot during the summer? You're in zone
9, but what are the summers like? We have blazing sun hot in the 100s
for almost three months with very little, if any rain.

It could be the heat; we are also hot, but usually only a couple of
weeks
at a time over 100. Most of the other weeks it' s "only" in the 90s!
We get no rain in the summer.

Be sure that you let the foliage ripen and start to turn yellow before
you
remove it.
Some of mine are in places where I water, and some are in places that
are completely dry all summer.So I don't think that is it.
They do seem to want good drainage in the winter. Our soil is a silty
loam, that drains very well.
I mulch everything all summer which does help to keep the soil cool.
and cuts down on having to water too often

Are any of your listed daffs salmon/white trumpets?

No they aren't, I do have one that is the opposite
( white w/ salmon trumpet) not sure of the name,
maybe Roseworthy?

Emilie