Old 07-04-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Be careful

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| a few years ago I cut the top of the toe off my shoe whilst mowing the lawn,
| luckily my toes was not taken as well. I see people cutting lawns in sandals
| or bare feet and shake my head.

Actually, bare feet can be safer than protective footwear! Much better
grip and VERY much less likely to lose balance. I have injured myself
much more often and more seriously by wearing protective footwear than
by wearing bare feet, despite doing the latter vastly more of the time.

Positively the worst type of footwear for 'protection' is light
'trainers'; they may be enclosed, but they will stop nothing. However,
they meet the regulations ....

Bare feet are safe only if the mower is protected against running over
your feet in some other way. The one we have is not self-propelled,
is used on flat ground, and has a huge plastic grass box preventing it
from running over your feet. While I do wear boots, I have never come
CLOSE to running over my feet in 20+ years of using it. I can't say
the same for my wife's use of it, though, which is why I insist on
boots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.