Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Smart for lawns - Advice needed

pied piper wrote:
Just spray the edges to stop them growing once a year is usualy sufficient
"Bashy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an edging system for my borders and beds.
I've been looking and there seem to be two front runners, smart edge
and Everedge.

Everedge:
http://www.everedge.co.uk/classic.htm
Smart edge:
http://tinyurl.com/3vklg5

The main difference seems the price.
Has anyone got any advice or experience with either of these products.
Or alternatives.

Cheers

--
Bashy

Like all advertised systems smart edge has its problems, which are not
apparent on the adverts. The part that folds over onto the lawn and is
pegged down does not peg down easily. If there are no stones in the soil
to the depth of the pegs then it may be fine, but most soil has stones,
when the pegs hit them they are stuck. Also the "flaps" do not disappear
readily into the lawn, in fact your lawn mower will often cut them off.
I do not understand why all edgings are so expensive, perhaps I am naive
and they are expensive to manufacture. After much trial and error I find
that edging and spraying the area around the edge with a lawn weedkiller
is as cheep and easy as anything else.