Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered User

Default Smart for lawns - Advice needed

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an edging system for my borders and beds.
I've been looking and there seem to be two front runners, smart edge and Everedge.

Everedge:
http://www.everedge.co.uk/classic.htm
Smart edge:
http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...&pf_id=LS6101D

The main difference seems the price.
Has anyone got any advice or experience with either of these products.
Or alternatives.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just spray the edges to stop them growing once a year is usualy sufficient

http://tinyurl.com/3vklg5

--
Bashy

Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bashy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an edging system for my borders and beds.
I've been looking and there seem to be two front runners, smart edge
and Everedge.

Everedge:
http://www.everedge.co.uk/classic.htm
Smart edge:
http://tinyurl.com/3vklg5

The main difference seems the price.
Has anyone got any advice or experience with either of these products.
Or alternatives.

Cheers

--
Bashy

Like all advertised systems smart edge has its problems, which are not
apparent on the adverts. The part that folds over onto the lawn and is
pegged down does not peg down easily. If there are no stones in the soil
to the depth of the pegs then it may be fine, but most soil has stones,
when the pegs hit them they are stuck. Also the "flaps" do not disappear
readily into the lawn, in fact your lawn mower will often cut them off.
I do not understand why all edgings are so expensive, perhaps I am naive
and they are expensive to manufacture. After much trial and error I find
that edging and spraying the area around the edge with a lawn weedkiller
is as cheep and easy as anything else.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:33:52 +0100, Bashy
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an edging system for my borders and beds.
I've been looking and there seem to be two front runners, smart edge
and Everedge.

Everedge:
http://www.everedge.co.uk/classic.htm
Smart edge:
http://tinyurl.com/3vklg5

The main difference seems the price.
Has anyone got any advice or experience with either of these products.
Or alternatives.

Cheers

I use what I think is called feather boarding, available eg from B&Q,
and intended for fencing AIUI. It comes in 2m lengths by 10 cm deep
and is treated against rot. Make a slit along the edge of the lawn
with a spade or half-moon edging tool, and then whack in the feather
boarding, narrow edge downwards, until it is level with or just proud
of the lawn, using a rubber mallet or similar. Remove any turf on the
flowerbed side and fill the space with soil. The boards will bend
slightly and cope with shallow curves, but tight curves are best done
with several short lengths. Provides a great edge for strimming
against and getting a tidy lawn edge prior to mowing.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks Chris, as long as the price is right, I'll give that a go.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Registered User

I've decided to use Feather boarding (basically tempered wooden slats-treated) from B&Q. Cost me a total of £17.
I'll stain them up brown and hammer them into the ground.
Even if it does me for one year, it's saved me well over £200.
I would prefer to use the ever edge, but it's well overpriced no matter how good it is.
I would have needed 6 packs!!
Thanks everyone for their advice.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I've decided to use Feather boarding (basically tempered wooden slats-treated) from B&Q. Cost me a total of £17.
I'll stain them up brown and hammer them into the ground.
Even if it does me for one year, it's saved me well over £200.
I would prefer to use the ever edge, but it's well overpriced no matter how good it is.
I would have needed 6 packs!!
Thanks everyone for their advice.
-------------------------

I know i'm too late, but for future reference, i've used everedge in my garden and it's been there a long time now and still looks good. The wood will rot (eventually) and the plastic, i would think, will get damaged in time whilst the steel should last forever.

I know its hard to take the hit, but i'm glad i did as the results are just what i was looking for. Anyway, good luck, can't argue with the savings you've made
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered User

Yeah I know PD01, but even if this lasts for a year and I get the everedge next year then it's still saved me the money when I needed it. My wife just had a baby on Christmas eve, so money's a bit tight this year (and for the next 18!!)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bashy
writes

Yeah I know PD01, but even if this lasts for a year and I get the
everedge next year then it's still saved me the money when I needed it.
My wife just had a baby on Christmas eve, so money's a bit tight this
year (and for the next 18!!)

What on earth gives you the impression it ends at 18?
--
hugh
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered User

[/i][/color]
What on earth gives you the impression it ends at 18?
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting[/quote]

Wishful thinking ;-)
Old 18-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered User

Location: west midlands, shropshire staffordshire.

As work involve with putting the edging in and if it getting brittle or rotten after a short while - it is a pain to see it- so I always make sure it will be proper edging. there are 2 great edgings for much less money at

www.best4garden.co.uk

the heavy duty is very similar to the smart edge but without the clips on the top. The fact it is deeper keep it in place well, but also stop roots from going under.
Also they are both made from recycled plastic!