Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
redpenn redpenn is offline

Default Environment

On Apr 5, 8:38*am, "Faz" wrote:
A novice is asking what the ideal environment for orchids should be. I think
that is why my orchids only bloom every second year.

Faz.....Thanks.

I call muself a bit of an orchid-doofus as my orchids survivied years
if neglect and slowed their lowering when in a burst of interest I
started trying to look after them.What I'm saying is that they are a
pretty hardy plant, given the obvious protection from extremes of
weather. Mine survived outside under the eaves where severe frosts
couldn't get them and their only other need that was met was rain
reaching them.
But inside the house I recommend standing them in your bathroom where
the steam from the shower etc will make them happy. Shift them to
sunny spots in summer (the sun is what tells them to start
flowering).Spray with an insect oil in autumn before flowers spikes
get covered with scale insects etc.
That's the basics of what I've done and my orchids have survived in
spite of my care!