Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
G a e X a v i er

Default guinew hens in yard?

Sounds like guineas might work, especially since you live out in the
country. I would love to have some, but fear the neighbors might get really
upset with the racket.

So think I better stick with "show chickens" since "show fowl" are allowed
in my subdivision, but not poultry.

Here is someone's report of having some around.

http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/arch...31_flocks.html

There are lots of great sounding gourmet recipes on the web for them, but I
do not think I am up to caring for them and then eating them, but then
maybe I have been away from the farm too long.

Gene S wrote:

Y'all gave me an idea. The hoppers keep eating the
new leaves off the small pecan trees, as well as the
orchard trees, etc. When the flocks of wild turkeys
come through, they "really" do a number on the
hopper population. They are hopper eatin' machines:-)
Unfortunately, the neighboring ranchers let too many
hunters zap the wild turkeys, the largest flock is no more
than 15 birds or so.

Would a heard of guinea's be as efficient as the wild
turkeys?

Gene
in the metropolis of Briggs, TX

--
E-mail:

"LYNN FORRES" wrote in message
. ..
guinea hens?
I've never had them but am interested in putting a few in back yard

(fairly
protected)...do they make a mess, or a lot of noise, and can they hold

their
own against the neighbor cats? I know they do eat bugs and create
fertilizer. Thanks for your response.