Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
LYNN FORRES

Default guinew hens in yard?

guinea hens?
I've never had them but am interested in putting a few in back yard (fairly
protected)...do they make a mess, or a lot of noise, and can they hold their
own against the neighbor cats? I know they do eat bugs and create
fertilizer. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

No fowl is able to protect itself against predators like cats. I don't know
much about them other than that.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gary Brady

Guineas are pretty noisy when they get excited. Probably make good watchdogs.
If you don't clip their wings they will be able to fly quite well and may roost
in the trees. Don't know if they can avoid cats, though. Their eggs are great
for Easter egg knocking contests. A regular chicken egg doesn't stand a
chance.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Crabluv

They are very noisey when people come around. And a full grown has no
problem whoopin up on a cat.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In my neighborhood there have been a number of Guinea Hens, kept
by a home owner who allows them to run freely in his yard. They stick
close to the front yard but do wander around in the street, but having
watched them for years they seem to have no problem avoiding traffic,
and I quite enjoy seeing them puttering around. ( I wouldn't try it on
a busy
street though ) I was going to post the location if people wanted to
take a look but I didn't know if this was a legal animal thing in the
city limits.
I had a neighbor who used to walk a pig on a leash in the
neighborhood and then got into trouble.
I certainly enjoyed them and they seem to do a better job of staying
out of the way of cars then the other birds and squirrels I'm always
avoiding.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gene S

Y'all gave me an idea. The hoppers keep eating the
new leaves off the small pecan trees, as well as the
orchard trees, etc. When the flocks of wild turkeys
come through, they "really" do a number on the
hopper population. They are hopper eatin' machines:-)
Unfortunately, the neighboring ranchers let too many
hunters zap the wild turkeys, the largest flock is no more
than 15 birds or so.

Would a heard of guinea's be as efficient as the wild
turkeys?

Gene
in the metropolis of Briggs, TX

--
E-mail:

. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
G a e X a v i er

Sounds like guineas might work, especially since you live out in the
country. I would love to have some, but fear the neighbors might get really
upset with the racket.

So think I better stick with "show chickens" since "show fowl" are allowed
in my subdivision, but not poultry.

Here is someone's report of having some around.

http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/arch...31_flocks.html

There are lots of great sounding gourmet recipes on the web for them, but I
do not think I am up to caring for them and then eating them, but then
maybe I have been away from the farm too long.

Gene S wrote:

[...]

every sweet glad buckets cruelly attack as the raw hens play Tired Twink United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 01:27 PM
i was looking to behave you some of my bitter hens Pvt. Walt H. Gilmore United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:25 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
guinew hens in yard? LYNN FORRES Texas 6 25-02-2003 07:34 PM
OT Laying hens petition MC Emily United Kingdom 9 13-12-2002 09:34 PM