Old 13-04-2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Anyone Grown Asparagus in Tubs?

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
news
I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Boron

Asparagus is not a small plant, reaching 6ft high with bushy top growth. You
will need a sheltered spot in full sun, if grown well it tends to get top
heavy and blow over if exposed. It is a heavy feeder so you will need top
class soil mix in your tub and to top it up with manure(s) yearly. The root
system can become quite extensive and I suspect this will be your limiting
factor even with large tubs. The running roots that go out from the crowns
will probably end up going round and round inside the tub. And of course you
will have to be religious with your watering during the growing season due to
the limited water holding of even big tubs.

I reckon building a cage around plants in the ground might be better, your bed
need be only about 3 X 6 ft (depending on need) so you are not looking at the
Eiffel tower. What sort of critters must be kept out?

David