Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone Grown Asparagus in Tubs?

I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Boron
Old 13-04-2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
news
I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Boron

Asparagus is not a small plant, reaching 6ft high with bushy top growth. You
will need a sheltered spot in full sun, if grown well it tends to get top
heavy and blow over if exposed. It is a heavy feeder so you will need top
class soil mix in your tub and to top it up with manure(s) yearly. The root
system can become quite extensive and I suspect this will be your limiting
factor even with large tubs. The running roots that go out from the crowns
will probably end up going round and round inside the tub. And of course you
will have to be religious with your watering during the growing season due to
the limited water holding of even big tubs.

I reckon building a cage around plants in the ground might be better, your bed
need be only about 3 X 6 ft (depending on need) so you are not looking at the
Eiffel tower. What sort of critters must be kept out?

David

Old 13-04-2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:32:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Asparagus seems to be a plant that takes lots of room.

The information in the " Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening"
says that "50 plants are usually adequate for a family of four, but
ardent asparagus lovers recommend tripling that amount. Planting
instructions : dig 12" wide trench 6" - 8" deep and 4' apart. Set the
crowns 1 1/2' - 2' apart." I think you would have to have one tub
for each plant since I doubt that they take kindly to being moved.

We put in 100 crowns 3 years ago. Year 1, no picking. Year 2 pick
for 2 weeks and year 3 we can pick for about 1 month. Those figures
may no be exact. We have yet to pick more than we can use. Whenever
we start getting more that we can eat, I will start pickling them and
freezing some for soup. Emeril's recipe for asparagus soup is great
since it uses the whole spear, including the tough bottom part.

A neighbor saw the asparagus bed in the fall and wanted to know what
kind of trees they were.

--
Susan N.

Old 13-04-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 12, 8:32 am, Boron Elgar wrote:
I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Boron

How about planting in a watering trough for livestock....a big
rubbermaid one?? Drill a little drainage in the bottom for sure, and
feed heavily as mentioned.
Nan in DE
Old 13-04-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:36:27 -0700 (PDT), Nanzi
wrote:

On Apr 12, 8:32 am, Boron Elgar wrote:
I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Boron

How about planting in a watering trough for livestock....a big
rubbermaid one?? Drill a little drainage in the bottom for sure, and
feed heavily as mentioned.
Nan in DE

Too big for the deck, unfortunately.

Boron

Old 14-04-2008, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I
am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in
tubs.

Any advice?

Asparagus seems to be a plant that takes lots of room.

The information in the " Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening"
says that "50 plants are usually adequate for a family of four, but
ardent asparagus lovers recommend tripling that amount.

This seems rather a lot to me. The books I have recommend 24 plants per
family of four. I have about 20 for the two of us but we are quite fond of
it. Last year we had about 6 meals off 2 year old plants (I only cut lightly)
and I expect to get three times that or more next spring.

David

Old 14-04-2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:08:14 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Groundhogs will dig under any fencing unless the entire things is sunk
in cement. They will eat through any wooden enclosure.

Boron
Old 14-04-2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I get the feeling I'll be shopping for my asparagus, rather than
growing it.

Boron
Old 15-04-2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message

Groundhogs will dig under any fencing unless the entire things is sunk
in cement. They will eat through any wooden enclosure.

Oooh! I have never met one, we don't have them here. This begins to look
like a serious mission.

David