Old 13-04-2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joan[_2_] Joan[_2_] is offline

Default Are water changes really necessary?

Hi, ponders! It's that time of year again when I start re-thinking
how I've been managing the pond and nervously watching the fish
closely for health issues. I've been reading, which always confuses
me, so now I'm wondering:

Do you really have to do partial water changes in ponds if the water
chemistry is okay? My pond is probably about 1500- 2000 gallons, only
about 12 goldies, pH solid at aroun 8.5, alkalinity around 100, no
ammonia or nitrite, lots of plants, a good waterfall, a nice
mechanical/bio filter.

Do I really have to drain the pond every few years for a major
cleaning, or can I just scoop the gunk up off the bottom with a net?

It took so long to get the water just right; I hate to rock the boat.

Thanks!!

Joan in Oregon, always appreciative of you guys.