Old 16-04-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default Question about growing herbs in containers

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:43:00 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:41:54 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 07:51:04 -0700, Sue wrote:

I've decided to try growing herbs this year. Because my limited
ground space is taken up with vegetables I've purchased some
containers - 15" by 31". The packages say that they (thyme, oregano,
basil, sage and tarragon) will thrive in pots, but there's nothing
about how many per pot. The instructions are for in ground growing
and most say that the plants should be 8 to 18 inches apart. Well,
that wouldn't be very many per container (2 or 3) and the pictures on
the packets make it look as though they are really packed into the
pots. I have one container per herb. I live in Central California so
there's no need to start these indoors and transplant.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Sue

For a number of years I had a herb garden on my apartment balcony
using pots. 6-8" pots will work just fine - one plant per pot. Sage
and rosemary will probably need 10-12" pots. Large basil plants might
prefer a 10" pot. Just remember to water frequently during hot
weather. You could also try the balcony railing planters - about 8"
by 24" to hold about 4 plants.

Thanks for your advice. I've just pretty much put the entire packs in
the containers and will thin accordingly.

Good Luck!

At the end, before I bought my house, I even had a couple of 6-7' bay
laurels in 24" pots, elephant ears, and a fountain out on the balcony.

A bay laurel? Good God! What a balcony you must have had.
Sue

- Mark

My laurel bays are an easy 40' tall.

On a balcony in a 24" pot? Must be some balcony!!

Unfortunatley, here in the Ohio valley it gets cold enough in winter
to freeze bay laurel back to the ground. Usually the roots survive.
In the apartment days, they got cut back and moved indoors on the
coldest days.

- Mark