Old 13-04-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Question about growing herbs in containers

I've decided to try growing herbs this year. Because my limited
ground space is taken up with vegetables I've purchased some
containers - 15" by 31". The packages say that they (thyme, oregano,
basil, sage and tarragon) will thrive in pots, but there's nothing
about how many per pot. The instructions are for in ground growing
and most say that the plants should be 8 to 18 inches apart. Well,
that wouldn't be very many per container (2 or 3) and the pictures on
the packets make it look as though they are really packed into the
pots. I have one container per herb. I live in Central California so
there's no need to start these indoors and transplant.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Sue
Old 13-04-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 07:51:04 -0700, Sue wrote:

I've decided to try growing herbs this year. Because my limited
ground space is taken up with vegetables I've purchased some
containers - 15" by 31". The packages say that they (thyme, oregano,
basil, sage and tarragon) will thrive in pots, but there's nothing
about how many per pot. The instructions are for in ground growing
and most say that the plants should be 8 to 18 inches apart. Well,
that wouldn't be very many per container (2 or 3) and the pictures on
the packets make it look as though they are really packed into the
pots. I have one container per herb. I live in Central California so
there's no need to start these indoors and transplant.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Sue

For a number of years I had a herb garden on my apartment balcony
using pots. 6-8" pots will work just fine - one plant per pot. Sage
and rosemary will probably need 10-12" pots. Large basil plants might
prefer a 10" pot. Just remember to water frequently during hot
weather. You could also try the balcony railing planters - about 8"
by 24" to hold about 4 plants.

Good Luck!

At the end, before I bought my house, I even had a couple of 6-7' bay
laurels in 24" pots, elephant ears, and a fountain out on the balcony.

- Mark

Old 13-04-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

I've decided to try growing herbs this year. Because my limited
ground space is taken up with vegetables I've purchased some
containers - 15" by 31". The packages say that they (thyme, oregano,
basil, sage and tarragon) will thrive in pots, but there's nothing
about how many per pot. The instructions are for in ground growing
and most say that the plants should be 8 to 18 inches apart. Well,
that wouldn't be very many per container (2 or 3) and the pictures on
the packets make it look as though they are really packed into the
pots. I have one container per herb. I live in Central California so
there's no need to start these indoors and transplant.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Sue

I can't think of any herb that won't take all the space given to it.
Perennials may take more time to fill a pot but they will. Try to figure
out, quantitatively, how much of each herb you will be using and
accordingly assign greater space to the most used herb and less space to
the least used herb. Parsley, cilantro, chives, rosemary, oregano,
tarragon, and thyme are my most herbs in the order listed.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 15-04-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:41:54 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your advice. I've just pretty much put the entire packs in
the containers and will thin accordingly.

Good Luck!

At the end, before I bought my house, I even had a couple of 6-7' bay
laurels in 24" pots, elephant ears, and a fountain out on the balcony.

A bay laurel? Good God! What a balcony you must have had.
Sue

- Mark

Old 15-04-2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:20:19 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

It's really a matter of what my friends use because I doubt that I'll
use much of any of them. Most of what I grow in my garden (tomatoes,
zukes, bells) I give away. I freeze my green beans to use throughout
the winter in soups. I'm going to get back into canning my tomatoes
(I had way too many full jars) last year.
Your advice is sound, though. Thanks. I will probably be drying most
of what I grow. That will be another question a few months from now.
)
Sue

Old 15-04-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:20:19 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

Invest in a good dehydrator, altho' for herbs, a simple box fan and a
couple of cheap AC filters will work in a pinch.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 15-04-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Sue wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:20:19 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

Herbs can amplify the quality of a mean, and a good meal can be a
civilizing influence (See :"Babette's Feast",
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...kstorenow50-20 and
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Babette...=222336&lnkctr
=srchrd-sr&strkid=1917022787_0_0 for reviews).

In

In "Sweet Land"
(http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sweet_L...336&lnkctr=src
hrd-sr&strkid=1088700644_0_0 and
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Land-Sto.../dp/B000P5FH26)
even good coffee can be seductive.

Just about any vegetable can be improved by sauteing it in butter with
shallots and italian parsley.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml
Old 15-04-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

My laurel bays are an easy 40' tall.

Old 16-04-2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

It was a nice little green oasis up on the second floor. The bay
laurels provided some much needed shade since I had 10' of glass
facing due west

Sue

- Mark

- Mark
Old 16-04-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:43:00 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

On a balcony in a 24" pot? Must be some balcony!!

Unfortunatley, here in the Ohio valley it gets cold enough in winter
to freeze bay laurel back to the ground. Usually the roots survive.
In the apartment days, they got cut back and moved indoors on the
coldest days.

- Mark